One of the preserved findings of the Roman period is the baths in the "Cave of Silla". It is located behind the GTO hydrotherapy center near the church of Saint Anargiri in the settlement of Loutra Edipsos. SIlla's "cave" is a small dome building. The whole building has been covered by the deposits of sulphurous waters that spill in the area and gives the impression that it is a cave entrance. At the entrance of the "cave" there are two voluminous statues of statues with inscriptions in honor of the Roman Emperors Andrianos and Septimios Severus dedicated by the municipality of Istiaia. The first one carries a later inscription in honor of Emperor Constantine of Byzantium. The "cave" was connected with the Roman general Silla, who visited the baths for treatment.
Archaeological Collection of Edipsos
The archaeological collection is housed on the mezzanine floor of the GTO Hydrotherapy Center. Some of the bulky exhibits are located in the reception areas, on the ground floor. At the main entrance of the building stand two inscribed pedestals to local rulers of Roman Evia. In the reception area is displayed the plaque with the symbols of the mythical hero Heracles, the bow and the lion and the supernatural statue of a man of the 2nd-3rd century AD. On the mezzanine floor, in the hall of the hall that the collection is exposed, there is a fragment of tombstone of the 4th century BC from Gialtra, which features a naked new part of a Roman statue of Hercules. The collection presents data from the prehistoric past of the area, mainly findings from the excavations in the prehistoric settlement of Kumbio, a hill 2 km north of Loutra Edipsou. Ceramic samples from Geometric to Roman times are exhibited by Kasteli Gialtra and excavations on plots in the center of Loutra Edipsos. The Mycenaean sword found in the area of Kastaniotissa settlement in the municipality of Istiaia, pits and chisels from Mount Kantili is also housed.
Bath building of the Roman period
G. Papavassiliou, a headmaster and consultant of the Archaeological Society during the period 1900-1916, excavated a Roman bath building in Loutra Edipsou, at the corner of Homer and Filellinon streets. In the area were previously found bases of statues with votive inscriptions of the ancient cities of Istiaia and Edipsos and a statue of a man of the 2nd century AD. Other earlier findings from the site are votive inscriptions of the end of the 2nd century BC and statue of a woman, late 2nd-early 1st century BC. The bathroom building was circular, with a vaulted roof and was divided into polygonal compartments. During the excavation there were parts of sculptures, of which the most important is a man portrait (230-250 AD). The building is not visible today. The sculptures are kept at the Museum of Chalkida.
It is located 2 kilometers north of Edipsos Baths. Pottery of the earliest Neolithic period has been found. It has been established that there is a settlement of the Middle Helladic period on the western foothills of the hill, the habitation of which was continuous until the first Mycenaean times. The excavated spaces seem to have been partially storable, with jars where fruit and liquid products were kept. In one of the spaces were found a funnel section with copper scrap residues, a piece of the final product, slags and small copper plates indicating that the copper was processed in the settlement.